It seems like the more things change the more they stay the same. For example, what are the latest anti-aging supplements this year? There are always some new prescription drugs that include synthetic chemicals that can improve your skin. Can they work? It’s possible, but even these products often contain natural ingredients like powerful antioxidants. Fun Fact: Collagen was discovered 50 years ago in 1969. Ironically, it’s become one of the most common ingredients in skincare supplements. Other natural ingredients in today’s anti-aging supplements include stuff like an antioxidant found in red wine. This antioxidant has become one of the hottest ingredients in skin care products.
One of the big claims that companies often make is their products can “reverse” the aging process. It’s a false claim because the aging process doesn’t stop going forward form the day we’re born. The key is to protect your skin as much as possible. You can add different creams and ointments to the skin but this Is mostly a cosmetic treatment. It’s just as important to keep skin youthful from the inside-out. That involves eating right, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep. If you take these basic steps then it teams up with any anti-aging supplements you use.
What Are Anti-Aging Supplements?
Today you can find a wide range of supplements that claim they’re anti-aging. The goal of these products is to lower the signs of aging. These products include different forms like lotions, creams, and serums.
There are different ingredients in these products like retinol and peptides. Many of the ingredients sound fancy so it’s important to research what they’re all about. For example, “ascorbic acid” is another name for Vitamin C.
One of the most common ingredients in topical anti-aging products is sunscreen. This attempts to reduce the effects of sun exposure and especially ultraviolet (UV) rays.
Sometimes the same ingredient is available in different forms. For example, you can find retinol in various forms like creams, and lotions. The substance is the same but it’s simply in various forms.
The term anti-aging is a loaded one. That’s because you can’t really stop aging with these products. On the other hand, you can supply your skin and body with the nutrients it needs for healthy skin. That can boost your overall health.
Anti-aging supplements take a different approach. They’re usually in a powder form although they could be pills/capsules. The goal is to improve your skin’s health from the inside-out.
This is generally a better approach because it’s not just providing cosmetic improvements to your skin. It’s dealing with possible issues related to your body’s systems that could be causing dry skin, wrinkles, freckles, and so on.
Another benefit of this approach is it can provide health benefits that affect more than your skin. For example, if you take a supplement with collagen the protein can also help to improve nail and hair health.
Check with your doctor before taking a new anti-aging supplement. He/She can guide you about whether it’s safe to use the product based on prescription meds you’re on or health conditions you have.
Latest Anti-aging Supplements
1. Resveratrol (chemical compound)
This one has recently made the news since it’s contained in red wine. If you need another reason to drink a glass of wine this could be it.
Resveratrol might help to fight the normal aging process. Studies show that it might help to slow down the aging process.
The chemicals can provide many benefits. They can help with issues related to blood sugar, heart health, and others. Many studies show resveratrol can improve heart health.
This chemical compound has a long name so we’ll just call it NAD+. Aging causes the body to make a lot less of it, so dietary supplements can help with the situation.
Some animal studies showed that AND+ supplements could “reverse” the aging process. This caused the mice to older mice (2 years old) to look like younger mice (2 months old). More research is needed but these studies are promising.
3. Krill/Fish Oil
These have been trending for a while. The main benefit of these products is they’re high in omega-3 fatty acids. This is a healthy fat that can help with staying healthy and healthy aging.
Omega-3 is a “good” fat that’s found in foods like fatty fish and olive oil. Studies show it can provide various benefits related to muscles, heart, and vision.
While the protein isn’t “new” it’s featured in many new products. Collagen is a protein in the body and there are lots in areas like skin, tendons, muscles, and bones. It also helps to repair different tissues like tendons and ligaments.
As we age our bodies produce less collagen. This provides one of the top benefits of collagen supplements since it can help the skin and other body parts look and feel younger.
It can also help with other health conditions like osteoarthritis. This condition affects the joints.
Tips for Healthy Skin
- Sunscreen/SPF: First, make sure to use SPF 30+ when picking a product. This will provide the best protection when you have fun in the skin. You should also consider a sunscreen that adds more moisture. Avoiding sprays/gels with alcohol since they might cause dry skin. It’s also better if the sunscreens have antioxidants. This will help to save your skin’s collagen.
- Retinoids: What are they all about? When aging caused the skin to start ditching collagen faster this can prevent the skin from looking smooth/stretchy. One of the best options is something called “retinoids.” This is basically the prescription drug version of Vitamin A. This product is often recommended for people who are 30+ years old. Patients should start out using it 2-3x every week.
- Healthy Food: Make sure to avoid alcohol and other foods/drinks that can dry out your skin. Other foods to avoid are white sugar and refined grains. You should also eat collagen-building food like lean meats, fatty fish, and beans/peas.
- Face Cream: When picking one make sure to pick one with moisturizers. This will help to reduce your face’s thin lines/wrinkles. This will retain more water within the skin to make it softer/smoother.
- Dietary Supplements: Remember that food is always the best source of nutrients. However, supplements like flaxseed oil or fish oil can add healthy fats to your diet and skin. Always make sure to consult your doctor first.
- Mild Face Wash: Make sure when you wash your face to use a gentle cleanser. This is especially important when washing older skin since the skin gets more sensitive and less oily.
You should probably avoid an “acne wash.” The reason is it will likely dry out your face. Look for gentle face washes that include ingredients including green tea and fatty acids like the latest anti-aging supplements.